Chart Industrial Manufacturing Facility
A Fast-Track Success
The 110,000 SF metal building was designed and constructed to support the manufacturing of large cryogenic storage tanks measuring 160’ long and 14’ in diameter. The owner made it very clear that the schedule would be of primary importance because Chart had contracts in place and needed to meet a tight manufacturing schedule. Using a fast-track, design-build delivery method, the Greystone project team completed design in two months and construction in only nine months.
- Project Size: 110,000 SF
- Awards: MN ABC Eagle Award, MCA Award of Merit, NAIOP Award of Merit
The design team worked with the concrete subcontractor and steel fabricator to design and fabricate jigs that would ensure precision and installation of anchor bolts, process track and gantry crane trough. For example, the anchor bolts were 6’ long and had to be installed directly into the pad footing. To accomplish this, we developed a large steel jig that could span the 12’ footing width and accurately install the anchor bolts (pictured here).
Greystone demonstrated continuous attention to detail regarding the quality of construction and workmanship. I am very pleased with the end product and would highly recommend Greystone Construction as a general contractor. I would happily work with Greystone on my next project.Bruce Lyman, V.P. of Facilities, Chart Industries
Metal Building Installation
Greystone’s specialty tradesmen erected the metal building for the manufacturing facility. The columns are 62’ tall and weigh over 12,000 lbs each. The main production bay is 100’ x 700’ and the lean-to service bay and office is 110’ x 250’.
Greystone set six cranes throughout the manufacturing facility.
- (2) 88’ span 75 ton OH Cranes w/ 40 ton positioner hoists
- (3) 40’ span 10 ton gantry cranes
- (1) 105’ span 15 ton OH Crane with 10 ton positioner hoists
More Building Features
- 11,155 SF of office space on the second floor
- 6,130 SF on first floor for production support area for restrooms, locker rooms and break room
- 3000 Amp electrical service that feeds over 68 specialized welding outlet stations and manufacturing process equipment
- 24’ x 80’ x 22’ Paint Booth and 25’ x 80’ x 23’ Blast Booth w/ special floor pits and steel floor
- 18’ x 53’ X-Ray Booth with 40’ cantilever x-ray arm located in an in-floor pit
- 150’ x 50’ x 24” thick slab capable of supporting 1,400,000 lbs. on 2 point loads for hydro testing tanks
- Over half a mile of steel rails embedded in the concrete slab the steel tanks on rolling carts